Stuttering does not ruin us

Sometimes I find myself feeling alone and wishing I were never born because I stutter. But, when I get like that, I think of a girl I met when I was in second grade. She was born with a very ugly face. She was normal in every other way, but it was hard to look at her and not feel sorry for her. But, she had the best attitude and was so likeable after I got to know her. She was so much fun. She never made any comments about the way other people looked, talked, or acted. After you got to know her, you didn't seem to notice how ugly she was. She couldn't help how she was born or how her face looked. What she did do was to be so kind, thoughtful, interesting, and fun that you enjoyed being around her. She didn't feel sorry for herself so you couldn't feel sorry for her, at least not for long. I have often wondered what happened to her as she got older. We moved and I never kept in touch with her. I don't even remember her name. I hope life treated her as well as she treated life and others. Those of us who stutter could learn from her. We need to embrace ourselves as we are and let people see that stuttering does not ruin us as people.